Friday, March 14, 2008

Location, location, location.


This is one of the big hangups for me as far as starting my tore. It determines everything! Who the customers are, what they will be hoping to see in the store, environment, overall everything! So needless to say, it's something I think about a lot. Chris and I talked consistently about Bayview - there isn't really anything like the shop I envision on that side of town, and there is so much cool growth going on in the neighborhood. I also think the people that reside there would appreciate the idea behind the store- lots of environmentally friendly products and a unique spin on your typical stationary store. But THEN I saw this listing on craigslist, (I think it's the storefront to the right) - and what's not to love about an Eastside location? I'm practically obsessed anyway with moving back to that area, and this is a really cute little storefront on Oakland Avenue. Lots and lots of pedestrian traffic, and a good mix of ages, cultures, and in general just lots of different people. So I ping pong back and forth and all around Milwaukee thinking where the perfect spot would be because if I don't have the perfect spot, I won't sell a single item, no one will come, I'll go bankrupt, and my head will explode. Welcome to my brain. :)

1 comment:

kim said...

Hey Lisa, very cute blog! Just wanted to comment that I used to live on Oakland and Newton, about 1 block south of there...and while the street traffic is good...the number of shoppers doesn't seem to be. The shops that are there aren't a huge draw, and that's the second coffee shop on the corner in three years. Darin and I went to the original on, and it was adorable...and completely empty. I think better Oakland retail is farther north where there is a heavier concentration, or of course, the adorableness (real word?) of Downer Ave. Can't really speak to Bayview, but I like that Lincoln-KK intersection. Anyway, my 2 cents, and good luck!!!
-Kim