Thursday, November 15, 2007

First post!

This is my first official blog post - whew! It's going to take some getting used to, feeling like I am having a conversation with no one. I suppose I should start with introducing the "idea" of the blog, and let the rest just happen...I spend a large part of my time being incredibly inspired by a wide variety of other bloggers out there. Blogs discussing all sorts of design - graphic, fashion, product, architecture - you name it. This inspiration turned from a daily dose of design "research" as I like to call it (since the majority of it happens while I am at work) to a larger idea. I've decided to begin compiling all of the things I love - imagery, products, little things here and there - and create my own inspiring collection. There is a higher purpose here; I am in the process of formulating a concept for a boutique I'd like to someday have. A sort of living blog of beautiful objects, lovely design, and items that bring with them the joy of discovery, for their whimsy, their uniqueness, or whatever it is that may draw you to them! The store will largely consist of beautiful stationary and other paper products. So this is a tool to help me document that process, and someday, maybe - as a supplement to my shop! Since I am first and foremost a graphic designer, I also would love to incorporate custom design work as an element of the store. And lastly, I have a growing awareness of just how much impact my one little self has on this earth, and am trying to educate myself on ways to lessen that impact and do what I can to be a more conscientious resident of our lovely planet! I plan to have the majority of the products offered in the boutique be either local, made from recycled/sustainable materials, and/or handmade by fellow conscientious and creative artisans and crafts-people. How exciting! So, here's to the start of the idea-collection for Flora & Fauna - a someday-to-be paper boutique and custom design studio!

No comments: